With all of the heavy cleaning going on its important to make sure you are using the eco-friendly option not only for the environment but for your health and safety as well. A lot of cleaning products have toxic ingredients in them that are extremely harmful to the environment.
Most people would be surprised that you don’t have to run to the store to find the latest eco-friendly cleaning products. Most of the things you need clean your home this spring are already in your cabinets!
- Baking Soda- cleans and deodorizes
- Lemon- effective in cleaning more household bacteria
- White Vinegar- cuts grease, removes mildew, odors, stains and wax buildup
- Cornstarch- can be used to clean windows, polish furniture and shampoos carpets and rugs
- Hydrogen Peroxide- works great to removes stains from white fabrics
- Olive oil- mix it with a little lemon juice and spray it on your furniture for a little polish.
If you want to go the store bought route there are plenty of products on the market that are free from harsh chemicals and great for the environment. Here are a few of our faves:
Seventh Generation’s cleaning products are sustainable in all a stages from development to use to disposal. Constantly reevaluating their products to further reduce their environmental impact and ensure a reliable product, Seventh Generation is a top pick for green home cleaners.
Ecos laundry detergents is a great eco-friendly alternative to getting your clothes clean. These detergents are free of phosphates and none of the products have been through animal testing to ensure Ecos is the smart and ethical choice for some cleaning.
Ecover is another trusted cleaning product that will help minimize your environmental impact. All of their products are non-toxic. Ecover is committed to making it easier for people to chose and maintain a sustainable lifestyle.
If you have any other cleaning products you’d like to share or if you know of some great at home eco-friendly cleaning remedies let us know! We’d love to hear any tips or tricks you use to get your home ready for summer!